Progress Career Planning Institute (PCPI), through its Toronto East Newcomer Services (TENS) provides support and help to newcomers throughout their settlement and integration process. Funded by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), we provide settlement services, language training programs, employment services and supports, networking activities, Culinary Program, and social and recreational activities.
POSITION: INSTRUCTOR, ENHANCED LANGUAGE TRAINING
REPORTS TO: PROJECT COORDINATOR, TORONTO-EAST NEWCOMER SERVICES
TERM CONTRACT TWO YEARS STARTING IMMEDIATELY
3-4 EIGHT WEEK SESSIONS PER YEAR MONDAY-FRIDAY
POSTING DATE October 21, 2020
CLOSING DATE November 6, 2020
The Enhanced language Instructor is responsible for providing language instruction to participants in an instructor led environment using adult learning principles that accommodates the various learning styles of individuals. The incumbent to the position is responsible for creating an environment that is experiential and participatory for clients to achieved necessary language skills they can adopt to the work environment and in social interaction in integrating in the Canadian Society.
• Teach English language classes to newcomers to Canada following the Canadian Language Benchmark Guidelines (CLB) 7-10;
• Design Portfolio-Based Language Assessment (PBLA) based module, lesson plans and assessment tasks for on-going evaluation of learners’ progress based on the CLB & PBLA Guidelines;
• Combine classroom teaching with computer lab instruction using educational software;
• Design and deliver short and long-term lesson plans consistent with accepted teaching methods and the needs and level of the class;
• Incorporate a variety of learning materials into lesson plans to meet different learning styles;
• In consultation with Coordinator (TENS), plan events and activities that complement the curriculum’
• Orient students to portfolios as a learning and assessment tool;
• Work with individual students to determine their learning goals and provide regular feedback on their progress;
• Prepare and administer tests to evaluate student progress;
• Ensure an anti-bias classroom atmosphere where participants are welcomed and are actively participating;
• Participate in professional development sessions and incorporate the material to enhance teaching;
• Convey PCPI and project policies to participants in a clear and concise manner and ensure they understand ; ensure the policies are implemented and followed;
• Collaborate with project team to ensure that ELT students are aware of, and have access to all other PCPI programs and services as required;
• Maintain an accurate record of student attendance, achievement, and outcomes;
• Submit daily lesson plans in timely manner to Coordinator (TENS);
• Comply with the confidentiality of student and agency files and documentation at all times (electronic and hard copy) in accordance with all required policies;
• Use and care for PCPI equipment and resources in a responsible manner;
• Submit daily participant attendance;
• Distribute tokens to eligible participants and needed/required;
• Complete monthly reports including narrative and statistical information as required and
• Other duties as assigned.
• TESL Certificate from a recognized institution and ongoing membership with TESL Ontario.
• Previous successful experience (minimum 2 years) teaching ESL or LINC at various levels with a reputable organization.
• Knowledge of and experience working with Portfolio-based Language Assessments (PBLA) is preferred.
• Excellent lesson planning skills.
• Demonstrated experience working with adults of diverse cultural backgrounds.
• Computer skills with knowledge of ESL educational software, MS Word and Internet.
• Good knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmarks and ability to benchmark students’ progress.
• Ability to work independently with solid time management and organizational skills.
• Punctual, reliable, disciplined
• General office environment
• Able to work with newcomers to Canada to help them integrate easily
• Some travel to accompany students on field trips may be required
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume to email@example.com by Friday, November 6, 2020.
Progress Career Planning Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodations will be provided through the hiring process provided the candidate make such requests in advance.
Only qualified candidates will be invited to attend and interview.
A mandatory Police check is required for all successful candidates prior to hiring.